The process of checking and analyzing whether the provided data is correct and acceptable or need some changes is called data validation. It is also referred to as data vetting or data cleaning in IT field. This is a process which is held to check if the data fulfills the needs and specifications as provided before. We also refer to this process as the data comparison process in which the data is compared with other documents and provided facts and figures to see if it’s applicable or needs to be collected again. This process also determines the level of implementation up to which the data is valid and doesn’t need any changes. Organizations and businesses use automatic computer programs which check the data for errors and mistakes and when they found one, the computers inform the operators to make changes or correct the mistakes. Whether you are creating a business application or entertainment software, the verification of the data provides a professionalism look to the programming.
There are some concepts that need to explain before we move on to the types of data validation such as:
- User interactivity screens and forms:
some part of the application needs the user to enter some data like their name and DOB and this part is the most important part to validate in this data validation process. Any existing mistake at this point can cause the whole application to fail so it’s an essential part of the data validation process.
- File manipulation routines:
it includes the file related actions like reading from the file or writing on the file. As the data saved to the file is entered by a human and it’s not uncommon to enter wrong data by mistake so it’s very important to validate all the input data before implementing it to the file.
- Import and export routines:
when you want your application to save the data in different formats so that the other applications can open the file without any mistake or error, you need to validate the data at this point.
Some common data validation techniques are:
- 1. Field level validation:
in this technique, you provide the user with a list of options and ask him or her to select an option and enter its value so that it will be saved in the database which you can check later to see if there is any error or not.
- 2. Form level validation:
here the user is asked to enter different values for the list same as the above mentioned method but in this type, the data is not saved on every step but once the user is done with the whole form, it’s saved as a whole file which you can check after for the possible errors.
- 3. Data saving validation:
this validation method is used to actually save the data in the database once the user has finished entering into the form. This method is usually used in option screens and multiple data entry forms that all need to be filled out before the data is saved in the database. The user is free to go to any form without a certain pattern and at the end, he just needs to click on the “Save” or”Ok” button and the data will be immediately saved.
Here is preview of a Useful Common Data Validation Chart that can help anyone in day to day tasks,
Here is download link,
Download Common Data Validation Chart
Related Excel Templates
- Biweekly Timetable Template Have you ever being caught forgotten something? Like absent on a very important seminar, missing out last date for payment of utility bills or failed to make it to personal commitments? Well we all are human beings and all these mistakes are among daily chores of our life but this however does not make room for ignorance or negligence in professional lives. A professional is always […]
- Moving Average Sales Forecast Template Preparation of moving average sales forecast is a functional and programmatically program that can be used for gaining high purposes of businesses. This preparation is linked with some particular software and programs that are recommended by the experts and specialists of this field. The arrangement of moving average forecast is related with the usage of some fastidious prescriptions. […]
- Square Root Table In schools and colleges, students always wonder “Why do I need to know square root calculation? Are square root have got any importance in the practical life? “
Square root calculation has also got its own importance in some real life applications and one of these important applications is a printed square root table. Every operation in the field of mathematics has got its inverse […]
- Roman Numerals Chart Today we see the use of roman numerals in many of the text books, table of contents and other things but very few few people know about its origination other than its being Roman invention. However the exact details have not been determined by anyone in the current period but one thing is clear that Etruscan were the first one to use them. It is said that Etruscan numerical system […]
- Body Growth Chart Growth charts work with percentile ratings to evaluate an infants, kid's or teenager's height-for-age as well as weight-for-age with other people of exactly the same age and sexual category. Regular growth charts for these 2 to 20 years previous plotted peak and excess weight individually, ensuing in 2 percentile ratings. Babies from beginning to Three years have a particular chart […]
- Travel Expense Report Template A travel expense report is a form of report that is used by a traveler to report all the actual expenses that occurred while the traveler is on a travel status. All these expenses are recorded in a travel expense report according to the basic accounting system. A travel expense report should necessary be filled in order to receive reimbursement, to clear an advance or to remove an […]
- Moving Average Forecast Template As you might guess we are looking at some of the most Fundamental approaches to forecasting. But hopefully these are at least a feasible introduction to some of the computing issues related to executing forecasts in spreadsheets. A moving average is a procedure to get an overall idea of the trends in a data set. It is a subset of an average numbers. The moving average forecast is […]
- Multiplication Table Mathematics has always been a very interesting subject since the beginning of human life; where the early humans used sticks and stones to count and calculate; proceeded to the fingers and then the lines on the fingers; which in turn gave rise to writing and other concepts and this have lead us to the modern age of such great advancements in the field of mathematics.
- Cleaning Sheet Template A cleaning sign off sheet is frequently prepared in large organizations like hospitals or big factories where large equipments are installed and it’s necessary to clean those machines on regular basis. It’s also applicable when it comes to offices which have more than one department and it’s very important to clean each floor with maximum supervision. The actual aim of a cleaning sign […]
- Help Desk Flow Data Sheet Template Help desk flow data sheet proves really useful in the designing and documentation of complex processes and programs. It makes your work easy by visualizing everything and increasing your understanding level. Data flow diagram is most important part of the organization to keep everything in organized manger. This is a better way to perform all important tasks as you can easily control […]