Science began with four basic elements namely Earth, Air, Fire and Water but with the progress leading to discovery of new elements scientists felt the need of a table or chart listing all the known elements in specific order according to their similar properties. They named this chart of elements as Periodic table.
Antoine Lavoisier was the first one to arrange the discovered elements in groups of metals, non-metals, gases and liquids, but scientists were not satisfied with this arrangement and this dissatisfaction lead to the Johann Wolfgang’s Law of triads in which he arranged similar elements in groups of three. Later on the discovery of atomic and mass numbers of elements lead to the new arrangement of elements on the basis of their mass numbers proposed by Russian chemist Mendeleev. Mendeleev arranged elements in rows and columns in ascending order of their mass numbers and left space for undiscovered elements. But Mendeleev’s periodic table had many flaws in it. In spite it was a revolution in field of chemistry but it had small flaws like it could not explain isotopes because of their varied mass numbers from the original element. Later on Mosley proposed the now known as modern periodic table on the basis of ascending order atomic number of elements. This arrangement perfectly arranged all the elements in rows and columns. Every row also known as a period starts with the filling of electrons in the new shell of an element while a vertical column known as a group has elements with similar outer electronic configuration. Modern periodic table has also been divided into four blocks namely s, p, d, and f. These groups are formed in order of the outer electronic configuration of elements.
First two groups of periodic table make up the s block , the middle ten groups make up the d block, while the last six groups form the p block while the two rows of elements placed separately, are after the elements actinium and lanthanum are known as lanthanides and actinides make up the f group. Mosley’s periodic table consists of seven periods and eighteen groups. There are small periods with two elements and longest with thirty-two elements whereas last period is incomplete with vacancy for new elements yet to be discovered. The sixth and seventh period include lanthanides and actinides which make up the f block of the periodic table. The eighteen groups arranged as 1 to 18 according to American system. Each group has specific elements with similar properties. The groups extend from first group of Alkali metals to the eighteenth group also known as zero group comprising of inert or noble gases. The elements of groups 1, 2, 13, 14, 15, 16 and seventeen are known as representative elements. The elements of groups 3 to 12 are known as transition elements and actinides and lanthanides are known as inner transition elements and they are also member of group 3. All elements in a group have similar chemical and physical properties because they have similar electronic configurations.
Here is preview of a sample Periodic Table Template available online for free and created using MS Excel,
Here is download link for this Periodic Table Template,
Download Periodic Table Template
Related Excel Templates
- Periodic Table Science began with four basic elements namely Earth, Air, Fire and Water but with the progress leading to discovery of new elements scientists felt the need of a table or chart listing all the known elements in specific order according to their similar properties. They named this chart of elements as Periodic table.
Antoine Lavoisier was the first one to arrange the discovered […]
- Multiplication Table Mathematics has always been a very interesting subject since the beginning of human life; where the early humans used sticks and stones to count and calculate; proceeded to the fingers and then the lines on the fingers; which in turn gave rise to writing and other concepts and this have lead us to the modern age of such great advancements in the field of mathematics.
- Square Root Table In schools and colleges, students always wonder “Why do I need to know square root calculation? Are square root have got any importance in the practical life? “
Square root calculation has also got its own importance in some real life applications and one of these important applications is a printed square root table. Every operation in the field of mathematics has got its inverse […]
- Roman Numerals Chart Today we see the use of roman numerals in many of the text books, table of contents and other things but very few few people know about its origination other than its being Roman invention. However the exact details have not been determined by anyone in the current period but one thing is clear that Etruscan were the first one to use them. It is said that Etruscan numerical system […]
- Biweekly Timetable Template Have you ever being caught forgotten something? Like absent on a very important seminar, missing out last date for payment of utility bills or failed to make it to personal commitments? Well we all are human beings and all these mistakes are among daily chores of our life but this however does not make room for ignorance or negligence in professional lives. A professional is always […]
- Body Growth Chart Growth charts work with percentile ratings to evaluate an infants, kid's or teenager's height-for-age as well as weight-for-age with other people of exactly the same age and sexual category. Regular growth charts for these 2 to 20 years previous plotted peak and excess weight individually, ensuing in 2 percentile ratings. Babies from beginning to Three years have a particular chart […]
- Common Data Validation Chart The process of checking and analyzing whether the provided data is correct and acceptable or need some changes is called data validation. It is also referred to as data vetting or data cleaning in IT field. This is a process which is held to check if the data fulfills the needs and specifications as provided before. We also refer to this process as the data comparison process in which […]
- Chinese Conception Calendar Template Parents, particularly mother, is always curious about the gender if their babies. If not for any other reason than for the purpose to prepare the room and wardrobe of the baby according to the gender. In eastern countries like India, informing the gender of the baby prior to birth is not legal. Although, there is no harm in just predicting the sex of the infant to be born. Chinese […]
- Metric Conversion Calculator Template The metric system first started from France in 1799 after which the French revolution took place and soon this system was adopted by many countries although they were previously using some other measuring systems. There are many other systems too but the metric system is implemented in most of the counties and cultures because of its ease and less complications. This is the reason that […]
- Banquet Hall Reservation Sheet Template A banquet hall proprietor and event organizer should be on exactly the same web page when preparing an event. To guarantee the event is effective and problem-free, there are a couple of essential particulars that you should know and supply to reserve a location. Excel spreadsheets are PC paperwork that show an area of columns as well as rows so you can certainly show info such as a […]