If you have an account in any bank, you may be familiar with the term “ledger”. But if you are not familiar with this term, by reading this article you will be able to get enough knowledge about this term. What is a ledger and how it can be used are such questions that will be answered in remaining section of this article. So let’s start from what is a ledger?
Ledger is a principle book that is used to record transactions. Ledgers are widely used in businesses and book keeping. Actually, ledger is a large volume of scripture/service book that is kept in one place by making it accessible. When you are about to use ledgers in your business, you are required to determine how many ledgers are required for your business. Here some tips are going to be shared with you that will help you to understand how you can use a ledger?
Here is preview this General Ledger Template created using MS Excel,
Your ledger must contain every account of your business. You should record here seven important categories of your business, these are:
- Owner’s equity
- Gains of your business
- Losses of your business
You are required to enter each transaction in the ledger on daily basis. To enter each and every transaction it is necessary to enter debt and credit. Debit entry will take place on right side and credits will be recorded on left side. This is the rule of recording transactions in a ledger.
One more thing to remember is that with every recorded transaction, date must be entered for each entry you make. If you are going to record number of transactions for the same date, you still need to have a date for each transaction. Relevant descriptions should also be a part of each entry.
Now, post your data to subsidiary ledger. This is as same as making entries except when you post, you only put in a debt or credit. They do not balance as they do in the general ledger.
Posting of every transaction will be made on its own page or in its own ledger. Ancillary ledgers have extra column that is balance. Every month, you are required to update balances to have a clear picture of each account.
What is a ledger looks like and what are important columns of this document can be well understood by viewing Ledger Template.
Here is download link for this General Ledger Template,
Related Excel Templates
- Income Statement Template An income statement also known as statement of loss and expense is one of the major financial statements necessary to prepare for business organizations. This statement encompasses revenue, expenses and net results derived at the end of a given period like at the end of month or fiscal quarter. It will help you to take important decisions for the benefits of organization. It serves as […]
- Balance Sheet Template Balance sheet is a vital part of financial statements of all organizations because without it you cannot effectively manage accounts of your organization. It helps you a lot to analyze the financial position of your organizations in the market and you can effectively measure the growth or decline rate of your organization. Balance sheet is designed to evaluate the assets and […]
- Financial Comparison Template Business organizations have to deal with different clients and investors in order to arrange finances for their company. It is not easy to persuade a potential investor to invest in your business because they want proper evaluation of the financial status of the organization. Accurate and honest communication to the strengths and weaknesses of the company is an easy way to convince […]
- Travel Expense Report Template A travel expense report is a form of report that is used by a traveler to report all the actual expenses that occurred while the traveler is on a travel status. All these expenses are recorded in a travel expense report according to the basic accounting system. A travel expense report should necessary be filled in order to receive reimbursement, to clear an advance or to remove an […]
- Cost of Goods Sold Sheet Template Cost of goods sold is amount paid by Merchandising Corporation for the merchandise sold during an agreed period of time. It is prepared on monthly basis on the completion of accounting cycle to calculate cost of goods sold and gross profit of the company. This is the price at which the goods were purchased and direct cost associated by bringing them to the sales room and completing the […]
- Calorie Burned Calculator Template We hear people talking about the calories of a food and generally when two or women get together, they discuss how much calories each have burned and what they are eating to get lesser calories. What is a calorie and how does it affect a human’s life? A calorie is a unit of energy when we talk about human body and when we say that this food contains 50 calories; it refers to the amount […]
- Extra Payment Calculator Template Those of you, who bought a house or a vehicle on a mortgage or loan, know this term “Extra payment” very well and those who don’t know what the heck is an extra payment, here’s some explanation. When you get a mortgage, you agree to pay it back to the bank or loan firm in installments monthly or annually. With an additional amount in form of interest rate, you pay off the principal […]
- Amortization Schedule Calculator Template Amortization is a process of paying a debt from loan or mortgage over a pre-defined period of time into smaller installments. The amount you get from a loan or house mortgage has to be paid back with additional amount of interest on the loan. People don’t have enough money to buy a house or a vehicle all the time so they get financial help from a bank or Loan company who gives them the […]
- Compound Interest Calculator Template It’s not an easy job to earn money but this is also a fact that money grows more money. For example if you put your money in a bank, it increases with the passage of time as the bank pays you fees for using your money and that fees is called interest. When you get a loan from a bank or a mortgage firm, you have to pay more than the principal amount as the fees to use the loan money. […]
- Tax Comparison Template It is difficult to evaluate tax rates all through the world and it can be subjective up to some extent. Tax laws of most of the countries are tremendously intricate and due to these laws the tax burden cascade differently to different groups of the each country and associate state unit. Tax rates around the world are different but basically the tax system is focused on three types of […]