If you have an account in any bank, you may be familiar with the term “ledger”. But if you are not familiar with this term, by reading this article you will be able to get enough knowledge about this term. What is a ledger and how it can be used are such questions that will be answered in remaining section of this article. So let’s start from what is a ledger?
Ledger is a principle book that is used to record transactions. Ledgers are widely used in businesses and book keeping. Actually, ledger is a large volume of scripture/service book that is kept in one place by making it accessible. When you are about to use ledgers in your business, you are required to determine how many ledgers are required for your business. Here some tips are going to be shared with you that will help you to understand how you can use a ledger?
Here is preview this General Ledger Template created using MS Excel,
Your ledger must contain every account of your business. You should record here seven important categories of your business, these are:
- Owner’s equity
- Gains of your business
- Losses of your business
You are required to enter each transaction in the ledger on daily basis. To enter each and every transaction it is necessary to enter debt and credit. Debit entry will take place on right side and credits will be recorded on left side. This is the rule of recording transactions in a ledger.
One more thing to remember is that with every recorded transaction, date must be entered for each entry you make. If you are going to record number of transactions for the same date, you still need to have a date for each transaction. Relevant descriptions should also be a part of each entry.
Now, post your data to subsidiary ledger. This is as same as making entries except when you post, you only put in a debt or credit. They do not balance as they do in the general ledger.
Posting of every transaction will be made on its own page or in its own ledger. Ancillary ledgers have extra column that is balance. Every month, you are required to update balances to have a clear picture of each account.
What is a ledger looks like and what are important columns of this document can be well understood by viewing Ledger Template.
Here is download link for this General Ledger Template,
Related Excel Templates
- Financial Statement Template A financial statement is a business document that is prepared by the accountants and it indicates the key assets which the business owner owes. It is an important document that is created by a firm indicating the complete financial status of the organization transparently without any ambiguity. It is important because all the key investors which are interested to have shares or […]
- Income Statement Template An income statement also known as statement of loss and expense is one of the major financial statements necessary to prepare for business organizations. This statement encompasses revenue, expenses and net results derived at the end of a given period like at the end of month or fiscal quarter. It will help you to take important decisions for the benefits of organization. It serves as […]
- Balance Sheet Template Balance sheet is a vital part of financial statements of all organizations because without it you cannot effectively manage accounts of your organization. It helps you a lot to analyze the financial position of your organizations in the market and you can effectively measure the growth or decline rate of your organization. Balance sheet is designed to evaluate the assets and […]
- Mortgage Payment Calculator Mortgage is a term referring to a type of loan, offered by banks and other financial institutions to help tackle your financial requirements regarding the construction or acquiring of a home. In such loan, the property itself is the guarantee and the institution has all rights reserved to take over in case you fail to pay back the loan.
Mortgage handling is not an easy job for a […]
- Net Worth Statement Template Knowing about your current financial worth is primary step towards financial planning process. Net worth statement is considered crucial in process of financial planning. Net worth statement is an accounting of all assets minus all of company’s liabilities. Financial statement is very advantageous tool that helps you determine your current financial state. It also helps you tracking in […]
- Mortgage Refinancing Statement When you should consider mortgage refinancing? This is such a question that should be very clear to you to take right decision about mortgage financing. What do you think about mortgage refinancing? There might be a time when you will have mortgage refinancing opportunity. It is suitable when interest rates are lowered. It means that you will have to pay less on your monthly mortgage […]
- Profit and Loss Statement Template Almost everyone has to file their private earnings and expenditures. Companies must do the same. This is known as your profit and loss statement. Once this is carried out properly, all funds that broke down and got into the business needs to be obvious. Here’s learning to make an income and deprivation report.
Your profit and loss statement demonstrates your company exactly how much […]
- Financial Comparison Template Business organizations have to deal with different clients and investors in order to arrange finances for their company. It is not easy to persuade a potential investor to invest in your business because they want proper evaluation of the financial status of the organization. Accurate and honest communication to the strengths and weaknesses of the company is an easy way to convince […]
- Bill Payment Organizer Template Making a month-to-month spending budget to spend your expenses is essential to checking your individual funds, but creating a method for arranging you expenses is essential in ensuring expenses receives a commission on time which you steer clear of having to pay late charges. There are numerous methods to arrange your month-to-month expenses, and there are numerous methods to […]
- Travel Expense Report Template A travel expense report is a form of report that is used by a traveler to report all the actual expenses that occurred while the traveler is on a travel status. All these expenses are recorded in a travel expense report according to the basic accounting system. A travel expense report should necessary be filled in order to receive reimbursement, to clear an advance or to remove an […]