An Income Statement also known as statement of loss and expense is one of the major financial statements necessary to prepare for business organizations. This statement encompasses revenue, expenses and net results derived at the end of a given period like at the end of month or fiscal quarter. It will help you to take important decisions for the benefits of organization. It serves as a business evaluation tool required by accountant to prepare a financial report for a specific period of time. This will help you to get gross business sales, costs of business and finally the net income. You can design an income statement after a certain period of time and this time frame will be based on the volume of your business. It is a significant document therefore it is necessary to design it with care without any potential error.
Here is preview of this free Income Statement Template created using MS Excel 2007,
Easy Tips to Design Income Statement
An accurate income statement requires proper stetting of revenue items apart from expenses. You have to prepare this section with the help of transaction data to uncover everything related to sales, investment gains and vendor rebates. Usually these items are classified under “Total Revenue” section because these items bring money in the corporate treasury.
- Add your sales for the specific period for which you want to create an income statement. Write sales or revenue on the first line of the income statement. If you are running business on the cash bases then you have to get the sales records from the cash registers.
- Cash-based method is a preferred method to record your sales and requires timely record keeping right after sale. If you are using accrual method then you have to record sales even without receiving any money from your customers. You have to make an entry in accounts receivable.
- You have to calculate the cost of goods sold of the company to represent cost of raw materials and production of the finished goods. Cost of goods sold is largest cost component of the income statement of many companies. The formula of cost of goods sold will be:
Cost of Goods Sold = Opening Merchandise Inventory + Purchases of Merchandise – Ending inventory.
- It is crucial to keep proper record of inventory to record cost of goods sold.
- Subtract cost of goods sold from sales and you will get gross profit of your organization. For instance, if the sales were $200,000 for the month and the cost of goods sold was $80,000 then the gross profit of the company will be $120,000.
- You have to collect all operating expenses for the specific period. Operating expenses include rent, utility bills, depreciation and telephone expenses. These expenses are related to the regular operations of the business. Some companies prefer to take these expenses under a specific category called “General and Administrative Expenses”. In order to get a quick visual look you have to draw a line under these expenses.
- You have to subtract operative expenses from the gross profit of the company to get operating profit of the organization. For instance, if the operating expenses are $25,000 then according to previous example the operating profit will be $95,000.
- Apply the tax rate on the operating profit such as if the tax rate of the company is 21 percent then multiply the tax rate with operating profit. For instance, $95,000 x 21/100 is equal to 19,950.
- Now subtract the tax amount from operating profit to get the net income for the period and according to current example the net income is $75,750.
Here is download link for this Income Statement Template,
Related Excel Templates
- Profit and Loss Statement Template Almost everyone has to file their private earnings and expenditures. Companies must do the same. This is known as your profit and loss statement. Once this is carried out properly, all funds that broke down and got into the business needs to be obvious. Here’s learning to make an income and deprivation report.
Your profit and loss statement demonstrates your company exactly how much […]
- Financial Statement Template A financial statement is a business document that is prepared by the accountants and it indicates the key assets which the business owner owes. It is an important document that is created by a firm indicating the complete financial status of the organization transparently without any ambiguity. It is important because all the key investors which are interested to have shares or […]
- Financial Comparison Template Business organizations have to deal with different clients and investors in order to arrange finances for their company. It is not easy to persuade a potential investor to invest in your business because they want proper evaluation of the financial status of the organization. Accurate and honest communication to the strengths and weaknesses of the company is an easy way to convince […]
- Net Worth Statement Template Knowing about your current financial worth is primary step towards financial planning process. Net worth statement is considered crucial in process of financial planning. Net worth statement is an accounting of all assets minus all of company’s liabilities. Financial statement is very advantageous tool that helps you determine your current financial state. It also helps you tracking in […]
- Price List Template Preparing the price list is one of the important tasks in creating demand of your product in the market as well as among masses. It is the most critical point in every business. The retailer has to keep the price list precise and comparative to make it attractive for the customers. It looked as simple phenomena but need a deep insight while making price list. Everyone is searching for […]
- Free Invoice Template It’s a clear fact that an invoice played a significant role in any kind of dealing. When a dealer wants to get his money from the client he has to make an effective invoice to get what he deserves. If the present vague invoice with holdings only a single amount at the end without any detail of the all items, it will surely aggravate your client. It should be understandable, […]
- Moving Average Sales Forecast Template Preparation of moving average sales forecast is a functional and programmatically program that can be used for gaining high purposes of businesses. This preparation is linked with some particular software and programs that are recommended by the experts and specialists of this field. The arrangement of moving average forecast is related with the usage of some fastidious prescriptions. […]
- Sales Forecast Report Template Before going to discuss the guidelines for establishing product sales goals, it is important to discuss a little about the term sales. Sales are an ameliorated part of any business whether your business is services based or products based however as compared to services, sales is often used in products related business. Selling is a process in which through proper marketing and […]
- Mortgage Refinancing Statement When you should consider mortgage refinancing? This is such a question that should be very clear to you to take right decision about mortgage financing. What do you think about mortgage refinancing? There might be a time when you will have mortgage refinancing opportunity. It is suitable when interest rates are lowered. It means that you will have to pay less on your monthly mortgage […]
- Menu Planning Template Have you every thought about being entertained at home? What comes in your mind when you intend to have entertainment at your home? Did you find this a challenging job to plan a menu of your better entertainment?
Let’s talk about a few tips that can make your lunch or dinner party an entertaining. There most observing tips in the following which may help you better to get all you […]